Our curriculum follows the national curriculum and is intended to deliver a thematic and stimulating approach to engage pupils in their learning and provide cross curricular links.
These links enable pupils to make connections between areas of the curriculum, helping them to learn, remember and understand more fully.
Learning in most subjects is arranged on a 2 year cycle to meet the needs of all learners in our mixed age classes.
Our aim is to develop confident, motivated and independent learners, guided by the whole school community to be the best they can be.
We have selected the following areas as key development areas for our pupils; threading them through the curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities available in our school.
Our school values support the development of the whole child.
- We welcome everyone
- We care about each other and our community
- We work together to overcome challenges
- We recognise the power of a smile
- We always do our best and become better learners
- We are aspirational and follow our dreams
- We have a positive attitude
- We are not afraid to make mistakes
Whilst being focused on high academic standards in the core subjects, we are also committed to all pupils in our school accessing a broad and balanced curriculum. Our curriculum includes:
- English - Phonics, Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening
- Humanities - History, Geography and Religious Education
- Arts - Art and design, Design and Technology and Music
- Physical Education, including swimming in Key Stage 2
- PSHE, including relationships and sexual education
- Modern Foreign Languages - an introduction to French
We recognise the power of reading and use high quality texts in all classes linked to our topics. These texts inspire a love of reading and provide a hook for topic based learning.